The progression of pain associated with a deep second degree burn:
1. "Please, please, just get me a cigarette." - Severe burning sensation, lasts a couple of hours
2. "Hey, this ain't so bad." - Late first day.
3. "It's hardly buggin' me at all." - Day two, into day three
4. "I feel good enough for some alone time with the Missus." - Day three, night
5. "Oh my God, this is excruciating." - Day four
I have a sinking feeling number five is going to be around a while (boiling ramen - spill - ankle - to gross too show online).