Saturday, December 30, 2006

I Have a Headache, Saddam Doesn't

Wow! I'm a little late to this party. Seriously, bloggers need to get lives, like mine. Apparently while Saddam was swinging and bloggers were wringing, I was partying to the strains of "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" whilst sipping a Leinies at the local watering hole.

Then again, I'm not sure they missed the party, or I did.

There is a host of downsider reaction; Gateway Pundit and Radio Equalizer can get you started on that front. Ace of Spades led me to this line from Reuters:

During his three decades in power, Saddam was accused of widespread oppression of political opponents and genocide against Kurds in northern Iraq. His execution means he will never face justice on those charges.

And the NYT reports:

When Mr. Hussein came to power three years before the Dujail killings, he ruled over an oil-rich country that was an economic and technical powerhouse in the Middle East with rising cultural and political influence. When he hurtled through the trap door of the gallows Saturday morning, the nation he left behind was a smashed and traumatized remnant, desperately trying to restore its own identity and its place in the world.

See? Iraq was so much better off when Hussein was in power.

I think I'll go back to bed.

No comments: