Sunday, July 24, 2005

Giving Birth To Optimism

Mark in Mexico drew my attention to this column by Irshad Manji, in which she notes a decided change in the rhetoric in Muslim chat rooms.

AS a reform-minded Muslim, I've given birth to a twinge of optimism. Nine months ago, I wrote about the need for Muslim leaders to pull their heads out of the sand. I challenged them to recognise that something is askew in Islam. My call for honesty capped a week of back-to-back terrorist atrocities: the slaying of 12 Nepalese cooks and cleaners in Iraq, the double suicide bombings in Israel, the kidnapping of two French journalists and the hijacking of a school in Russia.

In the wake of Thursday's bombings in London, combined with the first wave of explosions 2 1/2 weeks ago, something has changed. As I scour Muslim chat rooms and discussion boards, I see an overwhelming display of heartfelt condolences for the victims and angry condemnation of the criminals.

Last year, the powerless children of Beslan, Russia didn't have nearly such an effect on Muslims worldwide. It is as if London - its pluralism, dynamism, and (we shall whisper this) capitalism - marked the line that dare not be crossed.

It's not all good news, but it is instructive that there seems to be a significant crack developing amongst the extremists and the rank and file of Islam.

I'll take those where I can get them.

No comments: