Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Trust but verify

Filed under, "I was not aware of that, but intend to verify at my earliest convenience:"

The St. Croix River is a warm water habitat. The stretch from Danbury down stream to St. Croix Falls is recognized as one of the finest smallmouth bass fisheries in the country.

Interestingly enough, I first heard the river north of the dam was "filthy" with smallmouths from a completely crocked barfly at about 12:30 a.m. a few months ago. I wasn't sure I believed him or if he was just trying to score the sweet "St. Croix Rods" hat I was wearing at the time (a free gift with my recent purchase of a 7-foot Mojo Bass rod).

We've been talking about exploring the river for bronzebacks since late last fall. Here's why:

Smallmouth bass are known as the pound for pound strongest fighters in the black bass genus (micropterus), of the sunfish family. They are aggressive in nature and, once hooked, their aerial displays rival Shamu the killer whale.

With Johnson in ship shape, there is nothing to stop us.

Twenty-five more days.

No comments: