Saturday, October 10, 2009

No sympathy here

I'm not sure which is more absurd in this column by Tim Rutten; the almost biblical terms in which the far left sees a man whose "legend" remains strictly potential, or how he characterizes the response to Obama being awarded something for...well...nothing:

It would have been unthinkable a few years ago that the opposition party would not have at least extended the president perfunctory congratulations for this honor; he is, after all, the head of state.

I guess it depends on how you define "few."

It's not so much the revision of Obama - from the moment he was elected - which seeks to write history before it even occurs; it's the revision of the years 2000-2008, during which the left - apparently - would have found it "unthinkable" to act in a manner lacking respect for the "head of state."

I don't particularly care for some of the criticism of Obama. I have no time for birthers. But I have no sympathy for a left suddenly "appalled" at the tone. The left created this atmosphere every day for eight years. As far as I'm concerned they can eat it. They bought it, they own it.

No comments: