Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In Your Neighborhood

I watched this video and came away with the overwhelming feeling that they are all around us.

Mr. Porwoll lived right down the street from my grade school, and I went to school with his youngest son. I ran into his son at the recent reunion. I remember when I was a kid hearing only the vaguest of allusions that his dad's service in WWII was special somehow, but of course had no idea to what extent.

Ken Porwoll, from a quiet neighborhood in Roseville, survived the Bataan Death March and subsequent imprisonment. He went on to raise nine kids. It's an incredible story told in his own words. It is an absolutely priceless piece of video and I can think of nothing more appropriate to post on this Veterans Day.

Thank you Mr. Porwoll. And to all.

No comments: