Monday, August 14, 2006

Hoax afoot

David Harsanyi explores the difference of opinion between scientists and non-scientists in the area of global warming in a recent column. One such scientist, Bill Gray, points out a rather humorous article from a different era on a different hysteria:

Gray directs me to a 1975 Newsweek article that whipped up a different fear: a coming ice age.

"Climatologists," reads the piece, "are pessimistic that political leaders will take any positive action to compensate for the climatic change. ... The longer the planners delay, the more difficult will they find it to cope with climatic change once the results become grim reality."

Thank God they did nothing. Imagine how warm we'd be?


Another highly respected scientist, Roger Pielke Sr., rues the lack of diverse opinion found in the media. Both scientists comment on the intimidation factor and Harsanyi wraps it up:

"Plenty of young people tell me they don't believe it," he says. "But they won't touch this at all. If they're smart, they'll say: 'I'm going to let this run its course.' It's a sort of mild McCarthyism. I just believe in telling the truth the best I can. I was brought up that way."

So next time you're with some progressive friends, dissent. Tell 'em you're not sold on this global warming stuff.

Back away slowly. You'll probably be called a fascist.

Don't worry, you're not. A true fascist is anyone who wants to take away my air conditioning or force me to ride a bike.

No comments: