Monday, July 25, 2005

Rendell Smarter Than Second in Command

Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell is making amends for his Lt. Governor Catherine Baker Knoll's atrocious behavior at the funeral of Staff Sgt. Joseph Goodrich last week, a story we covered here.

Gov. Ed Rendell said Sunday that he hadn't spoken to Knoll, but he said it's not the business of state government to have a position on the war. He said the state supports the men and women fighting the war.

Rendell said written apologies will be sent to the Goodrich family.

The story also notes that Baker Knoll called the family and apologized...to the voice mail.

What a coward.

UPDATE: Speaking of cowardice, check out the letter that is being drafted for Baker Knoll, via Malkin:

Dear Mrs. Goodrich,

I am writing to further apologize and clarify what happened at the funeral of your beloved husband, Joseph. As a wife and mother, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to lose your spouse so suddenly. As an adored member of your family and one of Pennsylvania’s sons serving with soldiers from across the commonwealth, SSGT Joseph Goodrich, is one of this nation’s heroes.

As I said in my phone message to Rhonda, after I learned through press reports that your family was offended by my attendance, I was incredibly upset. I wanted to assure you once again that my intention was not to add to what must be a tremendously, heartbreaking, difficult period.

The war on terror is an immensely personal conflict for the thousands of people whose families continue to serve with honor, and I have attended dozens of funerals to offer my sympathy and condolences to the families of soldiers who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.


My heart and prayers are with your family, and to the families of all the men and women serving the cause of freedom in the fight against terror. I unfortunately, did not arrive at the church services for SSGT Goodrich’s funeral in time to offer my personal condolences to you. As I also mentioned on Rhonda’s phone message, as I do with many Pennsylvanians I meet, I offered my business card so she could contact me, and as a sign of my willingness to help the family through this difficult time in any way I can. To do anything that was deemed insensitive was completely counter to my intent.

Sergeant Goodrich’s service was beyond the call of duty. If my regard for his family’s grief was seen another way, it is thoroughly regrettable. The fact that you have been offended deserves and receives my most profound apology.

I will continue to support our troops in my role as Lt. Governor and support our President as an American. That I somehow conveyed an impression that was interpreted as other than that will forever be saddening and upsetting to me.

Again, please accept my heartfelt apology and deepest sympathy.

Sincerely,
Catherine Baker Knoll
Lieutenant Governor

Seriously...I feel like I'm going to puke.

There you have it folks. She really didn't even know what she was doing. Please note the Durbin-esque "I'm sorry that you are offended" slant and the failure to actually apologize for anything beyond that. In fact, like Durbin, she's not even sure what all the hubbub is about. She "somehow" conveyed an "impression" that remains unclear even to her.

Malkin spoke with Baker Knoll's chief of staff and gleaned this extra detail:

Sirabella says that Knoll has no plans to make herself available for public comment about her obnoxious crashing of Sgt. Goodrich's funeral. She will not hold a press conference. She will not take phone calls from the media. She will not address constituents who have complained or veterans who have protested.

Did I say coward?

Also posting: Sister Toldjah

No comments: