Monday, June 27, 2005

How To Be A Famous Blogger

The Jawa Report is continuing it's coverage of Jessica Cutler, AKA the Washingtonienne, who is celebrating her one-year anniversary as a "famous" blogger. It's how she got famous that provides a lesson for all of us struggling journalists.

From what I can gather, Cutler was "discovered" by Wonkette's Ana Marie Cox, who linked Cutler's blog when she discovered that Cutler had been paid to have sex with a married Bush staffer on multiple occasions. In fact, Cutler's blog made claims that she was having sexual realtionships with no less than six beltway politicos at one time. This would certainly appeal to Cox, who is herself famous for an obsession with anal sex, which somehow made her a perfect candidate to cover the Democratic National Conmvention in 2004.

For the g-rated version of the story check Wizbang, but for a more accurate synopsis of how to become famous in the blogosphere, Dr. Rusty Shackleford has the time-line:

Girl writes blog: nobody notices.
Girl links other blogs: nobody notices.
Girl links blog of Capital Hill staffer, complete with sordid details of ass-sex for money: every one notices.
Girl continues writing blog, a lot more butt-sex references: MSM falls over self loving girl's blog, put her up as poster-child of blogosphere.
Nick Denton buys girl's blog: girl now hires interns to write for her.
Capital Hill whore poses for Playboy, gets book deal: a lot of Google hits for South Parkosphere because they all link to pics.


I've been going about this all wrong. All this time I thought, if I provide timely news and some witty commentary, perhaps over time I too could join the ranks of the read. Instead, I should have been out nailing every politician I could find. Then I could have a book deal, get invited to cover conventions, pose for Playgirl, and become the "poster child of the blogosphere."

Hmmm....I want to be a famous blogger, but I also prefer the "exit only" distinction that has always, and currently, applies to my backside. I want to be taken seriously, but was unprepared for the entry-level prostitution qualification.

I just don't know what the "right thing" is anymore. Is there a way to be well-read without first being...well...reamed?

Also posting: The LLama Butchers, Michelle Malkin (old)

No comments: